Thursday, May 11, 2017

Dixie Cups - May 11 (Extra)

This is the logo and product design for the original Dixie cups. The function of this design is to give the cups a playful and clean feel. The Dixie logo was designed by Saul Bass, and he designed the cup design for Dixie cups shortly after. I used Dixie cups all the time when I was younger, and I found it interesting to find out that such a well-known graphic designer designed the packaging and logo for these cups. Since the main users of these cups are probably children, the cups have a very fun, bright, and playful theme to them. They also use smooth edges which make them look more appealing. I always tend to lean towards simpler designs, so these really caught my eye. I also liked how the cup design sort of implements the same flower-like pattern that is seen in the logo. It brings the two together well, in a very natural way.

I found this design in the book "Saul Bass: A life in film & design" by Jennifer Bass and Pat Kirkham

No comments:

Post a Comment